Sunday, August 22, 2010

What does health department look for when someone bakes and handles food in their home for sale?

I want to start my own business with baking and making food gifts. I am going to the health department this week, but was wandering what to expect when I go. Also what I may do to my kitchen to have it pass for inspection. I do keep it clean and disinfect with bleach.What does health department look for when someone bakes and handles food in their home for sale?
My aunt had a home-based baking business. She never needed an inspection since she didn't advertise or need a tax ID #. However, do you have pets? That's a sticky one. So are young kids. Some cities may require you to rent an off-site kitchen, but if this is more of a hobby, like my aunt's, you can do it at home. An inspector may inspect your house to make sure it's not dirty, your oven's baking at the right temp, your fridge is at the right temp, ingredients are being stored correctly, etc.





I have a friend right now who also does wedding cakes out of her house. Since it's a hobby and she has a different FT job, she's never needed a permit. But if you're considering this your primary business, scrub the H*** out of your house and be very nice to the health department. They have no sense of humor whatsoever.What does health department look for when someone bakes and handles food in their home for sale?
you are lucky you live in a state where you can do this. CA will not allow any resale food to be made in a home kitchen. I have seen some pretty gross kitchens where people think they are 'clean' and aren't so maybe you can't blame them. Don't store meat above veggies. Make


sure dry ingredients are at least five inches off the ground. The hot water needs to be readily available and 120 degrees for hand washing sanitation. Make sure dry ingredients aren't store in bags but in containers.


I am going to make illegal tamales in my kitchen for the holidays. Come and get me.
  • north face book bags
  • eye beauty
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment